Wednesday, June 6, 2007

June 6, 2007


Yesterday was Shelby's 15th birthday. Does time fly or what?! It has been a little crazy since she got back from Honduras on Monday night. They ran into problems getting home and didn't make it into DFW until about 11 p.m. She had a long day, stuck on an airplane but seemed genuinely glad so see Alix and me at the airport! She talked alot and wanted to share so much but we were all so tired. However, when she got home at 11:30 p.m. (or later), she and Alix had to watch the infamous "Papaw's video" which is quickly gaining great reviews from those who have seen it!! I think they watched it about 10 times, laughing their heads off! It was music to my ears and they had a great time reuniting. A Norman Rockwell moment...!?!

Then yesterday hit and everything was back to normal...fighting over computer time, nothing is "fair" as far as Shelby is concerned and Alix was left out in the cold-left for Shelby's "friends" and left out so I/we could handle issues w/Shelby's birthday, finding a routine again, etc. I felt bad for Alix...we had 10 great days together, one-on-one time and then she's immediately on her own again because at times, Shelby is rather demanding of our time =-(

We hooked up w/friends and family at DoubleDaves in Keller and Shelby met 2 of her friends from school there. Of course, being 15, she was more into her friends than the rest of the people that showed up for her birthday, but isn't that what being 15 is all about?! Thanks to those of you who were there. It was good to at least be in the same building with you even if we didn't get to chat as much as I would have liked to! We'll make up for it in the summer, shall we?!

I sort of felt Shelby's birthday got the short end of the stick and feel bad about it. Everyone was glad to see everyone else, wanted to hear about their trip to Honduras, and it was just plain crowded and noisy. It was rushed for one reason or another and it wasn't what I was hoping it to be...nor was it for Shelby. I could tell she was like "this is my birthday party?"...I don't think she was disappointed, but it wasnt' one of her better parties, either. It was hard to pull it all together since I don't have alot of her friends from school's phone numbers, etc (or we don't approve of the friendship) so I couldn't get friends there for her. I'm not going to beat myself up for it, it's just one of those things you wish you could do over again, but I'm not sure how I could have done it any differently. I guess I'll just have to make sure that next year, Sweet 16, is a good one for her. She'll be fine and will move on probably long before I get past feeling like I let her down =-(

Ok, enough of my whining...today is a new day and I spent my fair share w/my Heavenly Father last night to hear him tell me to look at James 1:5-8:
"Now if any of you lacks wisdom he should ask God who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. An indecisive man is unstable in all his ways."

I do lack wisdom in many things in regards to life w/a teenager right now but I am confident that I don't want to be like a surging sea tossed by the wind nor do I want to be unstable in all my ways. I want to ask in faith, without doubting, that God will guide me all the days of my life, especially those that involve teenage daughters!

Thanks for listening (reading)...I knew you would =-)

Thankful for a new day-
m

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    Loved reading the scripture you shared. I was really hit with being tossed about and how this person should not expect anything! Too many times I tell God the issue, then continue to worry and not leave it in His hands. I am with you on raising teenagers, makes this scripture alive and necessary.
    Oh Father, help me to put all of my trust in your very capable and strong hands. There is nothing that happens that you are not in control of. Help my unbelief. Amen,
    Blessings to you Melissa,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete