Friday, June 1, 2007

June 1, 2007

Today has been a rather interesting day. Nothing spectacular, but it was fun. Alix and I went to Main Event in Grapevine and bowled for an hour. Our scores weren't the best, but we had a good time, got tickled at silly things and got a HUGE kick out of the "older man" next to us who had to hop right before he bowled! It was funny. You'd think he was a professional bowler since he had his own "cool" ball and shoes, but I think Alix and I did better than he did!

Somehow while doing my "bowling face" I bit my lip and I couldn't get it to stop bleeding! I used napkins and ice trying to get it to stop. People kept looking at me like I'd been in a fight or something! After it stopped bleeding, it was swollen some. so awkward! It still hurts and is tender tonight but hopefully it'll heal itself during the night.

My car was filthy so we decided to take it to a car wash and have it washed an vacuumed by someone other than ourselves! Needless to say, it was Friday afternoon, the sun was shining and the weather was gorgeous so everyone else had the same idea! I decided to go ahead and pull in but wasn't sure how much it was going to cost. I pulled up to try to see a price...$69.99!!!!! I wanted to back up and leave but was already boxed in by other people wanting their car washed! As the guy approached me I was trying to think of how I was going to gracefully get out of this situation without sounding cheap! Well, the sign I saw was just an advertisement of sorts for one of their hand wax specials. He had a laminated sheet with him that gave the various prices so we went for it! Alix was fascinated with it all but wondered how we would know they were done with our car and how they would know we were the actual owners. It's the simple things we take for granted I guess! The car looks great but as we were pulling out of the parking lot the weather on the radio says "chance of rain this afternoon and the weekend"...Alix busted a gut laughing at me! As of now, 9:25p.m., no rain =-)

I'm working on a Bible study of sorts to work with the girls on this summer. It's a book Shelby got called "Teen Virtue-A Christian Girls guide to Relationships". It has several chapters, or studies and a few questions at the end of the study. I'm going through and trying to turn it into a Bible study/mom&daughter type of study. I feel that the girls are constantly being bombarded with the WRONG WAY to approach dating, guys, relationships, etc and what have I done to steer them otherwise? things are sooooo different than when I was in school so at times I feel like anything I say will be irrelevant so why say anything at all? This book is GREAT and speaks in their language (whatever that is!) so I can use her words to spark discussion for the three of us. It's sooo important to me that the girls realize that they are worth sooo much more than they realize and that they deserve to be treated with respect and care, not as just "objects" like everyone else they are around. Why is that so hard to teach a girl? She wants to be noticed by a guy and at times will do whatever it takes to get one to notice her. What she doesn't realize is that if the guy "notices" her, what will happen when she doesn't look like he wants her to look? Those are the things I pray God will help me teach the girls. I pray that they both have hearts to hear and ears to listen to what God wants to say to them whether through me or through another Christian leader...just someone positive that can speak life into them instead of lies.

Ok, off my soapbox now. I just have so much I want to teach and share with my daughters and I feel like time is flying by way too quickly to get it all in!

I'll close for now. Thanks for sharing my life w/me and keeping me in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Missy - You are so wise to start with the girls now because you're right, they do grow up too quickly. It's amazing to me what middle and high school kids are exposed to and what some of their "friends" do. It's scary, but scripture tells us that if we raise our children the way we want them to be, that they will maintain that path. I know I am very proud of Steph and so very thankful I have had the church to help raise her. It makes all the difference in the world. So keep pressing on and continue communicating with them. That is probably the most important thing!

    Love to all,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete