Friday, January 23, 2009

January 23, 2009

BATHROOM REMODEL PROJECT - 

We have been very blessed to be living in our home for the past 6 1/2 years. It's a great house for us and when we moved in there wasn't much to do for it to be move in ready. Shortly after we moved in Mike painted like the entire house because I can't stand white walls (no offense to those who have white walls!). It drives me nuts, so he painted the main living areas one of our favorite colors. He painted the kitchen, our bedroom and the upstairs bonus room. There's still one room, the guest room, that is still white so if anyone is planning on coming for a visit, give me a heads up so we can get it painted! 

However...the master bath has been a source of contention between us for the past, say 6 years :) I hate it... plain and simple. It has wallpaper (YUK to start off with!), gold shower door trim, carpet and no tile on the floor at all and totally worthless cabinets, much less the fact that the faucets are 2-toned (again, YUK but no offense if that's what you like!). It's all builder grade materials and it's boring. I wanted a nice, serene master bath-a place of tranquility...it's a girl thing I guess. So, for 6 years we've been in "planning" mode. Every year it's at the top of our home improvement project of the year and then usually gets bumped to the bottom, year after year after year. The economy has not helped out my bathroom remodel cause at all either. The money we would put aside for that has had to be used to cover "needed" expenses. One thing I should point out, too, is that we want to do this without going into debt. We're debt-free and have been for years and will continue to be for years to come. That's the rub. It's hard to save that much $ to do a remodel when you have teenagers that start driving and college just around the corner. I continually look on craigslist for "deals" and have found plenty...just not for a bathroom remodel!

A friend of mine and I have bumped the bathroom remodel to the top of the list for this year and I really would like to get  it started. Which brings me to my current dilemma...what I really want to do in there to remodel! It's not a huge gutting of the room nor any re-plumbing, etc. Here's what I'm looking at doing: paint, tile (floor and shower/tub), new cabinet and new faucets for 2 sinks, tub and shower. Not a big deal, right? But I've put the thought of a remodel so far out of my mind that I don't know where to start looking to find what I like! I have general ideas, but nothing specific.

SO, I took some pics of the bathroom to give you an idea of what we're looking at needing to change. Now I didn't clean off the counter-tops or anything so don't be checking out the product placements on the counter and in the shower! I just wanted a few shots of the room to post on here. Take a look and tell me what you think and if you have any suggestions on what to do, where to look for ideas and good places to buy materials at really good prices. I'll write a little more below the pics so make sure you scroll on down..


This shows the cabinets and faucets and the huge mirror..the space where the trash can is sitting is totally wasted space so I know that I want something more functional in its place.  Yuk-2 tone faucets :(


Love the lighting, don't you?! :(  gross...and again, so much wasted space above the mirror and all around the bathroom for that matter.  There are tall ceilings in there so there's a bunch of dead space that I'm not sure what to do with.


Ah..the lovely gold trim on the shower :(  And can you see the wallpaper in the background?  It's not hideous, but I don't like it so that's all that matters, right?!  Will probably take out that bench in the shower...don't use it and it's wasted space...can you tell I'm not a fan of wasted space?  It would make the shower much bigger, too.


And lastly, you can see it's a tub/shower combination.  I don't use the tub that often so I've considered taking it out and putting a window seat/bench there w/storage underneath...maybe the big baskets that slide in under the seat of the bench...?  And a window treatment suggestion would be nice, too :)

Ok, so there you go.  Put your thinking caps on and send me ideas or suggestions.  Oh, and if you can put it in an Excel spreadsheet Mike would be thrilled!  He can't function without a spreadsheet or pie chart...the project is just not doable without one :)

In the meantime I'll continue scouring craigslist for the bathroom remodel bargain of the year and maybe start peeling off wallpaper a little bit at at time :)  Shhhh...don't tell Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment