Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 17, 2009

FIRST OFF...
Let me say "Happy Anniversary" to my brother, Chuck, and his wife, Carrie!  17 years I believe they've been together!  Congrats and many, many more!

Well, yesterday (Friday) was a little nostalgic for us as a family...if that's the right word.  We had to make a tough decision on what to do about our dog, Rosie.  We've had her for about 8 years now...she's a Jack Russell Terrier..enough said if you know anything about that breed of dog!  They're very high maintenance but highly intelligent.  Overall she's been a good dog...several quirks that would drive me nuts since I was at home w/her every day, but not a bad dog by any means.  

She started developing some "issues" in the last several years or so having to do w/her "backside".  We probably put almost $3000 in her over the last few years and the problem kept persisting.  It had come to the point that we were having to "dump" (hee, hee!) $350 every other month in order to keep things in a natural order.  We can't do that financially, and we knew that there was no other way to care for her by our own means.  Mike informed our vet that we were NOT going to be able to pay for a surgery that might or might not work nor can we put that much money in every other month to take care of her.  We thought our only option would be to put her down.  That's such a hard decision, especially if you've seen "Marley & Me" :(  I couldn't honestly give her to anyone, either, knowing she had "problems".  So, as a last resort, our vet suggested that we turn her over to the hospital and they would take care of her and then find a home for her.  To us that was an answer to prayer!  We didn't have to put her down, nor did we have to find a good home for her!  That was the "bridge" that I mentioned on my facebook page, if you follow that at all.

So, Rosie's gone.  It's a little quieter around here and Archie sure misses her, but I'm relieved, I guess, that she'll be taken care of and maybe, just maybe my days will be a little less chaotic and sane!  She's a very good dog...her big, brown eyes always won in an "argument"!  The 8 years we've had her have been interesting and always insightful with her!  So, thank you, Rosie, for opening our eyes to the world of Jack Russells and for being a very good companion, friend, walking buddy, blanket warmer, food stealing, cat-poop eating, bark-at-everything, big, brown-eyed buddy.  We know that someone will love you the rest of your days and you will bring joy to whomever you're with!

Ok...I gotta go..the dust in this place is causing my eyes to water and I got something caught in my throat that feels like it's choking me :-?  
(dang-why did I have to get nostalgic like this?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment