Monday, February 16, 2009

Stay-at-home techie mom?

As I spent most of the day today in front of my computer I started wondering what it is that I"m doing.  I keep really busy at whatever it is I'm doing but is it "productive"?  Probably not.  Am I getting done what I stay home to get done? Probably not but then again, yes, some of it.  Could I be doing more to accomplish  my domestic diva responsibilities?  Sure...but maybe this computer time is my "calling", my gift so-to-speak; to find easy ways for girls like me to become tech-savvy in a highly, technologically- advanced society where our kids know how to use multiple devices all at once to communicate, study and entertain themselves for hours!  Yes, this could be my niche.  I'm learning soooo much in my daily internet searches and discoveries.  Things to help make my life "easier", to keep order and neatness in my routine, and all in a way that integrates my home computer with my new BFF, my Blackberry Curve.

I think this all started when I got my Blackberry back in October, November-whenever it was that I got it.  I had this new gadget that could do almost anything and I wanted to figure out how to work it and use it to it's fullest capabilities.  And since I'm not a gamer, except for Guitar Hero and wii Fit, I didn't want to load a bunch of games on that I would never play.  I wanted to have my desktop/laptop all on my mobile device,  so the searching began and it's been going strong ever since.  I know there have been numerous times that Mike has come home and wondered what I'd done all day besides sit and play at the computer or w/my blackberry and to tell the truth, some days I'd done nothing!  BUT, I'd figured out how to get songs, ringtones, wallpaper, themes and IM on my blackberry!!  That's quite a feat for someone my age andwith my lack of technology education!   THEN, I found the wonderful world of apps for my phone, how to check free memory space, install a new OS, and how to take pics and post directly to Facebook!  Awesome!!  And once I started using the Twitterberry app I could take pics and post to twitter so how cool is that?!  Wait, I think I started getting  ahead of myself when I started talking about facebook and twitter!  I'll address those in another post!

As you can see, I've been spending a lot of time researching, experimenting, downloading and then removing apps, all to get me to where I am today!  Today's task was to find an RSS Reader that was easy to use on my blackberry AND is integrated w/my desktop.  I think I may have found one but not after trying at least 3 before this!  For now I'm going to use FreeRange for Blackberry.  It seems to do all I want it to do and it isn't hard to figure out at all!  (I decided against Viigo, NewsGator and Google Reader in case you were wondering.)

I've been busy over the last few months with trying to learn about all of this technology and I know for a fact that I'm not even close to being done.  So after saying that, I think I will try to start posting about different things I'm learning, either for my home computer or my Blackberry and maybe someone who reads this might learn something that I've worked at trying to figure out!  And if I can figure it out, it can't be too hard and I should be able to break it down in simple terms and steps so anyone can begin to learn new things about technology and the world that surrounds us!

When I get to where I think I've mastered the easy stuff, we'll get the Mac that I am praying we get someday and my learning curve will have to start all over again!

It's time to take my computer geek hat off and put on my stay-at-home hat.  I have to make it look like I've done something today so I'll start getting the things chopped up for dinner...foil dinner pack with sausage, potatoes and carrots and maybe some crescent rolls.  And my sheets are clean, dishes are emptied out of the dishwasher and one daughter has been picked up from school...I'm doing ok, I think!

Until later...learn something new today!
m


No comments:

Post a Comment