Monday, February 9, 2009

February 9, 2009

BIRDS OF A FEATHER...FLOCK TOGETHER?
Last week was an interesting week for me.  Not that anything fantastic happened, but the sightings of some birds caused me to pause several times and try to "hear" what God was trying to teach me through these different birds.  As ADD as I am, it took me all week to finally get a glimpse into that teaching, although I haven't figured out what it means.  Interpretations anyone?!  

So here's my week with birds (and remember, nothing out of the ordinary, just unusual for me).  First up is the sighting of an owl...at dusk...on a highway sign.  Mike & I were on Hwy 114 and this large bird swooped down and landed on a road sign.  We both looked at each other and said "Was that an owl?!"  We're extremely used to seeing hawks around.  In fact, they're everywhere and for some reason I take comfort when I see one.  I guess I think they're patrolling the land, you know, like in Pocahontas' time.  Anyway, it was odd to see an owl when it was still semi-light out.  (Please, if you are bird experts,  just go with me on 
this.  I'm not stating that I know and understand all things bird related.  This is just my peon brain and the limited knowledge of I have.)  

The next day I was driving here in Trophy Club and spotted a beautiful robin...bright orange chest and beautiful.  Growing up in Indiana we saw them all of the time.  But when you DON'T see them on a routine basis, it's a treat and you realize how beautiful they are.  I thought it was weird to see a robin here in TX, but again, I chalked it up to just another bird sighting.  

Just about every day I am awakened to the sound of a Cardinal chirping out our bedroom window.  That's not unusual and I always smile when I hear it.  Well, most of the time I smile unless I'm really tired and the thing just won't quit chirping!  I've come out to the kitchen on numerous occasions to try to find the Cardinal to see what all the chirping is about.  Most times it's a momma Cardinal watching out for her babies or telling them that the "bath" is ready so they need to come and wash up.  Even though our birdbath doesn't hold water very well, it holds it long enough for me to sit in the kitchen in the A.M. and watch the birds take their baths.  So cute the way the dip their heads under water and then shake all the water through their feathers.  They look so fluffy and clean when they're done and it's comforting to know that they feel safe enough and trustworthy enough to come to our house just about every day for their bath time :-)

On Tuesday I was coming home from our women's Bible study and out of an empty field flew a quail!  Natural instincts were to duck to keep from missing the flying bullets of the hunters that reside in the state of TX, but no gunfire was heard.  Again, because I don't hunt and am not familiar with birds I thought it odd that a quail would be in town and not hiding somewhere more safe.  It just struck me as odd for some reason, but I went on and didn't give it a whole lot of thought.

As the week progressed my mind began to recall all of my bird sightings and encounters through the week.  When things like that happen I usually tend to think that there's a spiritual lesson that God is wanting to share with me.  I'm a visual learner and learn much better by visual aids vs. reading (probably goes back to the felt story boards in Sunday school class :P )  Anyway, I started praying about it to see what I could hear from Him.  I wrestled in my mind about it referring me to Mt. 6:26&27, how God cares for the birds even though they don't sow or reap or gather food.  God gives them what they need for that day, nothing more and nothing less.  I know that...I get that, although I'm sure if it came right down to me living it out like some of you are doing, it would probably take on a whole different meaning.  No, I knew there was something else I was suppose to get from this so I continued to pray and seek God.

Here's what I think I finally "heard" and it sort of DOES go along with the verses above, but I think there's more to it than what is at the surface and that's where I'm not fully sure what it means. With the exception of the Cardinal, to me and for this purpose, the other birds were out of their "natural" environments.  Owls are night birds, not dusk birds.  Robins tend to be more from the north than down here in TX and quails aren't typically in the city (and aren't they in a group called a "covey" or something?)  Anyway, even though they were out of their natural environments and geographical locations, God still met their every need, no matter where they were.  He doesn't only care for the owl at night or the robin in the north or a quail in a covey...He cares for them and provides for them at their point of need. Period.  Does that mean that our family's geographical location is going to change?  Not that I'm aware of at the moment.  So I'm still pondering the lesson from the birds last week.  I'm sure that over time it will be revealed to me but for this moment I'm holding on to the fact that He provides for us at our point of need. Period.

In the words of one of my favorite singers, Norah Jones, "Fly Away With Me"... and keep your eyes open to see if God is trying to show you a lesson through nature!

(on a side note which I thought was funny-yesterday's message at church was called "The Never Ending Story" and my first mental picture is of the children's movie with the same title and what does it show on the front?!  Not a bird per se, but something with wings-and catch the phrase at the top...interesting)

No comments:

Post a Comment